Just My Day Blog

Fucking Media Sensationalism

Today another man from upstate New York was freed after doing 20 years for a crime he did not commit. DNA testing is what set him free, free from his personal nightmare. Yet there are others whom everyday are living in hell for crimes they did not commit.
Where is the Fucking Media Sensationalism?
I want to know why I did not hear about this on my morning news, I want to know why I did not read about this in the morning newspaper, I want to know why YOU did not read about this in your morning paper, or on your local morning news station.
I only heard because I subscribe with e-mail to The Innocence Project.
I am going to go out on a limb here and wager that you know who this is and the infamous story that goes with it,
Little miss can't be wrong off to the "big house" with her cell phone to go do the time for a probation violation, on a crime that because of who she is never even did the initial time. By God I guarantee if it I had done the initial offense I would have had to do the time, and so would have you!

Meet Calvin Willis
Read his Stats.
Incident Year: 1981
Jurisdiction: LA
Charge: Rape
Conviction: Aggravated Rape
Sentence: Life
Year of Conviction: 1982
Exoneration Date: 9/23/03
Sentence Served: 21.5 Years
Real perpetrator found? Not Yet
Contributing Causes: Eyewitness Misidentification, Unreliable/Limited Science
Compensation? Not Yet

Did you read about him or see his face when he was exonerated back in 2003 after doing 21.5 years in prison?
But I bet you have seen this picture more than perhaps you ever wanted to!
This picture is supposedly about a breakdown, a breakdown due to no privacy. It was brought on by Media Sensationalism! From my own personal feelings about this picture I find it sad, like looking in and reading someones diary. Living in the spot light like she does must be hell.
On the other hand I don't have a feel sorry for bone in my body about the Paris Hilton picture. I feel that she has no right to be above the law due to breeding!

On the other hand here's Thomas McGowan

Here's his Stats
Incident Date: 5/7/85
Jurisdiction: TX
Charge: burglary of a habitation, aggravated sexual assault
Conviction: burglary of a habitation, aggravated sexual assault
Sentence: Life
Year of Conviction: 1985/1986
Exoneration Date: 6/11/08
Sentence Served: 23 Years
Real perpetrator found? Yes
Contributing Causes: Eyewitness Misidentification
Compensation? Not Yet

I have previously written about him that can be found here

But for today I want to know why you nor I can expect everyone with a newspaper or access to a T.V. or the Internet to not know by the days end that this is Steven Barnes, A man freed this morning out of upstate New York after doing 20 years in prison for a crime he did not commit! Leaving prison to the arms of his mother that never quit believing in her son and never left his side.

Of all things that should be sensationalized in the media, I want to know WHY it is not this!!!

For today, of all things that should be sensationalized in the media. This is it!!!!!
Not Brittney spears shaving her head. Not Paris and Martha doing a little county jail time for crimes I, just the typical American girl, would have got far more time for, I might add. I want to hear about this man and all the other men and woman and their escape from personal hell due to DNA testing. Why the fuck would any one care that Paris Hilton gets a little time for a crime yet we don't care about those that have done serious time for things they DID NOT do yet they are paying the price.
Not to mention that someone out there did these crimes and they are safe and sound in the knowledge that someone else is doing their time. Yet as a people, a nation we should be worried. Very, very FUCKING worried that their are those out there committing viscous acts on another and that their are those doing the time for the crime whom no one gives a FUCK about . We should be worried and we should be ashamed!!! If I had not subscribed to these e-mails from the Innocence Project I too would not know. We need to be informed! Each and every one of us. All those victims rights activists need to think about the victimization of the innocent! Thank God for the innocence project and All the hard work they are doing. Thank God for DNA testing!

This was included in my e-mail this morning from the Innocence Project
The common themes that run through these cases — from global problems like poverty and racial issues to criminal justice issues like eyewitness misidentification, invalid or improper forensic science, overzealous police and prosecutors and inept defense counsel — cannot be ignored and continue to plague our criminal justice system.
* Seventeen people had been sentenced to death before DNA proved their innocence and led to their release.
* The average sentence served by DNA exonerees has been 12 years.
* About 70 percent of those exonerated by DNA testing are members of minority groups.
* In almost 40 percent of the cases profiled here, the actual perpetrator has been identified by DNA testing.
* Exonerations have been won in 33 states and Washington, D.C.


I have written about this subject much. I do not ever get any feed back. I would LOVE to hear what others think about this injustice, and how it seems to get swept under the rug ! All comments would be so welcoming!
0 comments:

Post a Comment

Something Particular? Click on a tag!

I'd love to have you


If you like my blog,

then link back to me please!

Scroll Dust Woman and A Daily Laugh

My other blogs.

A Daily Laugh




Please stop by!

Where you are from!

Followers

Placed 11-14-2010


Past Posts

Popular Posts

Todays Birthdays

Today's Birthdays

Today in History

Today in History