Just My Day Blog

ASPCA and wood glue hazard

Labels: , ,
As a person whom receives e-mail from the ASPCA (because I want too I might add) I was really stunned when I received the following article this morning. It just goes into one of those things I never really thought of. I am not stupid (That's my story and I am sticking with it) and I would never leave glue laying around for my grandchild, my animals or anyone else for that matter to get into and play with or ingest, but reading the following was quite unsettling to me as a woodworker.

As do-it-yourself home improvement projects become more popular, pet parents may unwittingly expose their furry friends to dangerous tools and tricks of the trade. One such product is polyurethane glue, a water resistant adhesive that’s a favorite of woodworkers, but especially toxic to dogs and cats.


According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), pet poisonings from wood glues—and other adhesives containing the substance diphenylmethane diisocyanate (MDI)—are pervasive. In the last twelve months, the APCC has treated nearly 100 cases of pets who’ve ingested expanding glues. Of those incidents, 98% involved dogs and 78% were evaluated at high or medium risk for developing severe, life-threatening clinical effects.


Polyurethane glue—also known by brand names like Gorilla Glue and Elmer’s Pro-Bond—is prized for its ability to bond tightly to wood. If eaten, however, the glue expands in the stomach’s warm, moist environment and forms a softball-sized lump. A dog who eats even a small amount of MDI-based adhesive can experience severe gastrointestinal problems resulting in blockages. This disturbing scenario most often requires emergency surgery to remove the mass.


Pet parents should treat any expanding adhesive as a potential hazard, since the offending chemical MDI is not always listed on product labels. Like all toxic household products, wood glue should be stored in a secure cabinet to prevent your furry beloveds from coming into contact with it. If you suspect your pet has ingested polyurethane glue, please call your vet or the ASPCA’s 24-hour poison hotline at (888) 426-4435. And for more information about keeping your pet safe, check out our accessible guide to a poison-free home.

So I am simply passing this on and I do not mean any disrespect to the glues listed here, (Matter of fact it is mainly these glues I use) It is just something I would like anyone who reads this to be aware of.

Allison
2 comments:

Wow! That is good information to have, thank you for passing it on to us. As a dog and 2 cat owner, and someone who has all sorts of adhesives and have used acrylic polyurethane on several home improvement projects, I didn't know just how dangerous a small amount could be. Like you, I'm careful, but probably not as aware as I could be. I know my cat visits my work table on a regular basis, and always tries to drink out of my paint water jars! I make sure they are empty when I leave the studio now - both for her sake and my own. Tipping the jar of used water onto my table covered with my projects is a favorite activity of hers, or so it seems ;-)
Thanks for sharing this important info!
Karin


And thank YOU Karin , for reading. Like you pointed out, I did not think that when my dog "Buick" would take off with one of my intarsia pieces in his mouth, that if I had already glued it, (which he is famous for) that I could be endangering his life AFTER it had been glued. I hope others will read this from where ever it may come from. I also am so glad the ASPCA wrote about this, this morning. It is not like they know I am a wood-worker or anything, So they may have saved an animal today.


Post a Comment

Something Particular? Click on a tag!

I'd love to have you


If you like my blog,

then link back to me please!

Scroll Dust Woman and A Daily Laugh

My other blogs.

A Daily Laugh




Please stop by!

Where you are from!

Followers

Placed 11-14-2010

Past Posts

Popular Posts

Todays Birthdays

Today's Birthdays

Today in History

Today in History